If you have a French or Dutch oven or use a huge Le Creuset deep pot with a lid. Better to take to the table in that and serve from there or break it into serves. I have used a large Tagine as well for smaller groups and this is as close to the “bell” of Croatian cuisine..
large leg of lamb bone in……
(I use a hogget, a year old lamb, as it tastes a lot stronger)
- olive oil
- bacon or pork hock….some people who are halal can drop this
- 4 onions peeled and quartered
- celery chopped
- 8 garlic cloves (or as many as you can handle) peeled and crushed
- 2 good handfuls of mixed fresh herbs, thyme,Tarragone, basilica
- 4 large potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- bay leaf x 3
- large carrots peeled and halved
- 3 parsnips / swedes or turnips
- 1 bottle red, or can use white wine for not as intense flavour
Personal Chef-a-lofagus extras
- 1 celeriac chunked
- World Series home made jus …veal….or even chicken stock
- Splash o’the good cognac….plus a few sips
- 6 x Anchovy fillets
Preheat the oven to 220C put lamb in roasting tray to seal (I dust mine with potato flour or ordinary flour), cut pockets into the skin and punch in Rosemarie, some garlic and anchovies if using them.
Splash in some of olive oil and sear until brown on all sides.
Gentle heat on your French Oven (care as the ceramic base not designed for harsh heat) put bacon, onions and rest of garlic chopped celery and sauté for a few minutes, throw in your herbs and veg.
Pour yourself a glass of red/white sip then contemplate ….add rest to equivalent amount of water/stock,
Simmer, put in lamb and tightly cover. Some put a disc of baking paper on the inner or even surround with foil. Trying to create a good seal. I use a ‘Bristol Bath’ food in bags inside hot water and cook by slow heat for 24 hours plus for smaller cuts
Bake in the oven for 7 hours at 100 c until tender.(Some ovens stronger or weaker….need to monitor)
Check moisture content for/to taste…… adding as much sea salt flakes or pepper when checking viscosity.
Serve by pulling away a portion of meat, selection of veg and serve with Garlic mash polenta or potato with some crusty bread